I'm Robyn. I hash on foot, by bicycle and by transit, usually bringing my Hashscot T-Rex with me. I try to avoid going by car, because burning fuel for pointless expeditions is dumb, but exercising for pointless expeditions is the win. I am deeply addicted to geohashing, however, so what began as sometimes stopping off at a geohash in a car while on my way elsewhere, has escalated to sometimes answering the call of distant geohashes too juicy for me to resist, but too far for me to bike before midnight.
When I'm at home in Vancouver, I'll usually try for the nearest hash in Vancouver, in Surrey or across the border to Bellingham. I get over to Victoria from time to time, too. I have good maps locally. I also travel all over North America for work, so you'll see me at strange graticules elsewhere. I might just surprise you some day.
I am also known on the internets as Qov. I'm recognizable as another Internet personality as well, but I can trust you not to blab, right?
Now and Near Future
- Eager to get a globalhash using human powered vehicles only
- Build a cool human powered vehicle to get to geohash in.
- Minesweep home graticule
- Meet at least one geohasher with a name starting with each letter of the alphabet. I currently lack only B, N, U & V.
- Boat across the Squamish River and reach a geohash in the Tantalus Range.
- Examine early Date pages and create expedition pages for the people who reported their expeditions only on the Main Page.
- Create a Virgin Graticule map/list of Pioneers.
- Успех (pronounced Oosp-yekh a.k.a. "Speckles") my 1991 Kuwahara TO2 Supertour 18-speed bicycle
- A string (up to two and no reason to believe it will stop here) of bicycles purchased and then abandoned in other graticules.
- Amazingly Enough, my inflatable kayak
- T-Rex, my dinosaur hashscot
- Yellow Garmin etrex Venture HC GPS
Canon Power Shot SD10 digital camera RIP March 2011, sadly missed
- Gorilla mini camera tripod
- Brunton orienteering compass
I'm not very good at keeping this up to date anymore.
- Hashes Attempted: 148 in >39 different graticules
- Hashes Achieved: 99 in >33 different graticules (+2 more without proof)
- Retrohashes: 2
- Centurion-eligible Saturday Meetups: >12 in 6 different graticules
- Geohashers met: >36 in 7 different graticules
- Continents geohashed: 2
- Globalhashes: 1
Things that have thwarted me
- Private property : 11
- Being chicken: 1
- Body of water: 1
- Transportation failure: 3
- Mis-setting the GPS: 1
- Time constraints: 4
- Terrain/weather too nasty to continue safely: 7
- Inability to use a camera: 1
- Went to an alternate instead:3
Never turn down a chance to geohash.
Recent Geohashes Attempted
Most recent are listed first. Single horizontal lines every ten missions, and double lines every fifty, to facilitate counting. Bold numbers are the success count and bold words indicate an award or consolation prize taken for that attempt. Older geohash expeditions are summarized and linked on their own page.
I've decided to count a geohash "successful" if I:
- (a) get to within the accuracy figure of the coordinates as shown by my GPS,
- (b) have the GPS show a distance remaining of zero, or
- (c) for airhashes, take a readable photo within 10 seconds of each latitude and longitude.
- 2012-02-29 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Official alternate leaping with swords at Academie Duello.
- 2011-09-18 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Strawberry field transit/bike hash in Langley. Success #91.
- 2011-09-16 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Iona Beach bike hash. Met lyx & relet Success #90.
- 2011-08-28 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Musqueam transformer rock. Success #89.
- 2011-08-27 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Richmond industrial park. Success #88.
- 2011-06-05 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Best Airhash photo ever. Success #87.
- 2011-05-21 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Pitt River waterhash for Geohashing Day. Success #86.
- 2011-05-14 49 -121 (Chilliwack, BC): Too cheap to rent a power boat, too rough for a kayak.
- 2011-04-23 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Coquitlam Town Centre Park Xore's Birthday Hash. Success #85.
- 2011-04-12 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): In an alley in Shaughnessy with a turnout of five geohashers. Success #84.
- 2011-04-09 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): In some brambles in a park in West Vancouver, with Wade. Success #83.
- 2011-03-16 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Ended a long dry spell with Success #82 at a park in PoCo.
- 2010-10-27 47 11 (Innsbruck, Austria): Jingle Cow Hash and a brewery visit near Erlinger Höhe, Germany. Success #81.
- 2010-10-25 48 12 (Landshut, Germany): Met Dawidi, zb, Ekorren & Tanya then toured Regensburg. Success #80.
- 2010-10-23 49 8 (Mannheim, Germany): Met Ekorren and Koepfel but lacked a trained duck to reach the hash.
- 2010-10-20 49 8 (Mannheim, Germany): Met Danatar, il padre and Koepfel in a wood in Frauenweiler. Success #79.
- 2010-10-19 48 8 (Pforzheim, Germany): Took some wrong trains and a right train then biked in the rain. Success #78.
- 2010-09-17 44 -79 (Barrie, ON): Chauffeured to geohash in a golf cart. Success #77.
- 2010-07-12 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Couldn't get to the right spot under the Vedder Canal.
- 2010-07-12 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Steveston Showroom, no public access.
- 2010-07-11 48 -122 (Bellingham, WA): Dead end Arlington hash with goats. Success #76.
- 2010-07-08 50 -119 (Vernon, BC): Railroad right-of-way hash before breakfast. Success #75.
- 2010-07-05 50 -119 (Vernon, BC): Long wet grass field geohash on the way to Salmon Arm. Success #74.
- 2010-07-04 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Train station parking lot, at a time no one could agree on. Met Mr & Mrs. Wenslayer-Parent. Success #73.
- 2010-07-03 47 -122 (Seattle, WA): No trespassing and likely the wrong place, but we met Joannac!
- 2010-07-01 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Canada Day picnic on a streetcorner. Success #72.
- 2010-05-22 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Mouseover Day Sechelt waterhash. Thwarted by a hissing sound.
- 2010-05-21 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Geohashing uphill hike in the dark. Thwarted by 365 metres of pitch black dense forest.
- 2010-05-09 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Seven-minute old retrohash in a West Vancouver parking lot.
- 2010-05-07 45 -120 (Goldendale, WA): Thwarted by barbed wire near Centerville, Washington.
- 2010-05-02 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Success #71 in the rain near Rice Lake.
- 2010-05-01 53 -113 (Edmonton, AB): Success #70 across the road from Edmonton International Airport.
- 2010-03-28 global (Globalhash): Helicopter borderhash with Wade, near St. Maries, Idaho. Globalhash #1.
- 2010-02-07_49_-123 (Vancouver, BC): Success #69 at a non-existent church in Squamish.
- 2009-12-30 49 -123 (Vancouver, BC): Brambly hash just off the dyke south of the airport. Brought Wade, met Elbie. Success #68.
- 2009-11-18 35 -78 (Raleigh, NC): In which Robyn chooses geohashing over physiological needs. Success #67.
- 2009-11-18 35 -77 (Greenville, NC): No trespassing between a pig farm and a cotton field.
- 2009-11-17 35 -77 (Greenville, NC): Sandwich deja-presque-retrohash.
- 2009-11-07 49 -122 (Surrey, BC): Elbie and Wade on imaginary 160th Street. Success #66.
- 2009-09-20 47 -121 (Seattle, WA): Solo over-the-fence reach in Duvall, Washington. Success #65.
See Robyn/All_Geohashes for links to my previous one hundred geohashing expeditions.
Alphabetical by username. Date is first meeting at a geohash.
- Abigailme - resplendent and smiling on the grass before I arrived at the geohash on Xore's birthday.
- Adrian - on a bicycle with Twilightcity at the llama farm on 2009-01-24.
- Arbron - strolling down 22nd Avenue looking at his iPhone on 2009-03-09.
- Charlotte - trying to photograph Klaus in front of the train station on 2010-07-04.
- DaleF - freezing his teeth with a blue geosquishy on 2008-09-25.
- Danatar - wet, eating cookies in a wood in Frauenweiler on 2010-10-20.
- Dawidi - leading an informative tour of Regensburg on 2010-10-25.
- Ekorren - unstoppable in his knowledge of train schedules on 2010-10-23.
- Elbie - in a double kayak with thepiguy on 2009-03-29.
- Fbfree - in the middle of a thorn bush on 2009-07-17
- Flag guy - 300 m from the Seymour River geohash on 2009-07-10.
- galaxstar - playing Twister outdoors in six degree weather 2009-03-05.
- Garyuuko astride a Buell motorcycle on 2008-11-08 in Richmond.
- HollyB - bouncing happily in the rain 2008-09-25 at Heather and 16th.
- Ilpadre - taking group photos in the woods in Frauenweiler on 2010-10-20
- Jaem - protecting his new mobile device with a towel on 2008-09-25.
- Jeff - jumping off a bicycle by an alley in Shaughnessy.
- Joannac - in a Vietnamese restaurant before trying to reach the wrong coordinates 2010-07-03.
- Juventas - after surviving an hour stuck in construction traffic on 2009-05-08.
- Klaus - risking death by taxicab to reach the coordinates on 2010-07-04.
- Koepfel - like a drowned rat, with mini-T-Rex, in Frauenweiler, on 2010-10-20.
- Lumy - In a sailboat with a pirate flag as he landed at Ambleside Beach on 2009-07-11.
- lyx - in a swamp at Iona Beach on 2011-09-16.
- MylSh - toasting the geohash in gingerale on 2009-03-05.
- Osmie - On a path in a Coquitlam park, asking us if we were geohashers, on Xore's birthday.
- Paul on a hill in Coquitlam at Xore's birthday.
- plypkie - in a sailboat on Ambleside beach trying to reach the 2009-07-11 geohash.
- Qunchuy - in a hotel hallway and then went geohashing on 2009-07-26 40 -75.
- relet - while biking the other way, yelling "I'll be right back! Don't wait for me!" on 2011-09-16.
- Rhonda - paddling her brand new inflatable kayak to Anvil Island on 2009-04-08.
- Rhonda's mom - in a red Jeep on 2009-05-10.
- Rhonda's dad - who hasn't chosen a username yet, driving the red Jeep on 2009-05-10.
- Simon - who doesn't have a username yet, dragged by Elbie, and amazed that people understood his geeky jokes, on 2009-05-23
- SoBe - not getting too much grass on the cake on Xore's birthday.
- srs0 - inflating a boat 2008-09-21 at a sunrise water geohash.
- SueB - looking good in her shorts 2009-04-28 in a Coquitlam driveway
- Tanya - stunningly dressed and fitting in instantly with an experienced geohashing crowd on
- thepiguy - cursing like a pirate on 2008-09-19 at a midnight geohash.
- Thomcat - with his two kids on a Ballard side street on 2009-01-22.
- Twilightcity - stopping his bicycle in front of a llama farm on 2009-01-24.
- Wade - geohashing with me since 2008-07-06, often by motorbike
- Xore - walking along highway 99 to join our formal wine & cheese party on 2009-04-18
- yangman - Coasting down Sorrento Street on 2009-04-28 on his mountain bike.
- zb - Abducted to his house in Münich after a Regensburg tour on 2010-10-25.
- ZZ - pointing the way to where the nerds were, on Xore's birthday.
These are the ten or so ribbons I have earned or updated recently. I have moved all the older ribbons to their own page.
|| Robyn earned the Jam Tomorrow Consolation Prize
- by visiting a hashpoint the day before and the day after, but not the day of. (35, -77) geohash on 2009-11-17.
|| Robyn earned the MacGyver Honourable Mention
- by constructing a raft out of driftwood, rope, duct tape and old bicycle tires and paddling to within 111 m of (49, -123) geohash on 2009-07-11.
Progress Towards Multihash Achievements
Things you can blame me for on the wiki.
- Maintaining consistency and organization of the Achievements page, monitoring proposed achievements to ensure achievements are suitable, and well formatted.
- I obsess about every page belonging to its proper categories, and every category belonging to a category, all the way up to the root.
- I came to this wiki knowing nothing about wiki, so I sympathize with others and am working on the Help page, and the initial experience for new users.
- Experimenting with the Current events page to make it more relevant.
- Maintaining Template:New on the wiki for Main Page announcements.
- In progress: Geohash on Private Property.
- Started pages Transportation to the Geohash and Games We Play. Keeping an eye out for additions.
- Making expedition pages and User pages for Ninja geohashers.
- Conducted project tracking Vancouver geohashes for a month to quantify accessibility issues in Vancouver graticule.
- Working on a way of displaying/recording Virgin Graticule conquests.
- Generally trying to do things that make the wiki better.
- Oh, and I boss everyone around, too.